Friday 15 April 2016

Bits and pieces

  • As usual, the cause of me vanishing from sewing social media for a fortnight is that I've been too sick to sew. Believe me, I am as bored of writing that as you must be of reading it. Happily, I've been feeling marginally less like death for the last couple of days so I've picked up the threads of some of my sewing activities. 
  • I was planning to make another shirt next but to be quite honest right now I can't face the plaid matching this would involve at all, no matter how much I like the idea of the finished garment. I've stuffed the fabric back on the shelf for now and I'm going to make some much less complicated t-shirts next instead. I'll be making a mix of ordinary tees and slightly more interesting knit top patterns. At the moment I am trying to figure out the most efficient order in which to sew them all to minimize thread changing on my overlocker!

Burda 03-2006-130A (technical drawing and modelled photo) and my grey denim
  •  My next "big" project is another piece of outerwear, of course. I'm planning on using this 2006 Burda pattern and some grey denim that has been lurking in my stash for an age. I can't decide at all which side of the denim to use -- neither is an obvious "wrong side" so I could use either. I am thinking maybe the dark grey because it suits my colouring better than the pale grey and would also probably be more versatile. I am also contemplating what buttons to buy -- I'm currently thinking some kind of metal.
  • I've never bought or made a pattern by Victory Patterns but today I coughed up for their new Hannah dress pattern. I am not at all sure that the sack dress/sleeveless look is a good choice for me at all but I'm nuts about that folded/pleated back detail, and I had an amazing idea for colour blocking with some fabrics I already have, so I thought, well, what the hell, I'll give it a try.
  •  I am so into mentally planning my summer wardrobe right now that it's a shock when I look up and it's like, oh yeah, it's still only mid-April, there's actually a few flakes of SNOW on the forecast for tonight (!!) and my tulips aren't even out yet in the garden (though they're ALMOST out -- maybe another 48 hours!). I don't really need sundresses yet...

10 comments:

  1. Sew a summer dress! It'll get you all perked up for the coming season!

    I agree on the dark side (haha) of the denim and metallic buttons. Will be very classic but still modern.

    I actually really like that Hannah dress! I love the Lola too! Maybe one day I'll snag them both.

    What knit tops are you working on? I've been looking for some interesting patterns. I did cough up for the Style Arc Dee and Emily. I should browse my my Burda stash :) And as usual, glad you're on the mend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll go mad and sew that Victory Hannah dress, or at least a muslin!

      Knit top wise I am making 3 regular tees though I am going to try out a new neckline so there's a little construction interest (for me, at any rate!). And then I'm going to make a new Ottobre Lemon Juice (from 02-2012) which is cut on the bias with a weird drapey bit. I made one a couple of years ago in a blue stripe that I loved to death, so I am making a replacement this time in a black and white stripe. Next I have a MyImage pattern which is a kimono sleeved top with a small cowl neck. And finally an extremely inexpensive PDF pattern (like, 3 Euro or so) from a French pattern writer (though the pattern is available in English) called Cozy Little World -- the actual pattern is called the Jasmin tee.

      I really love the look of the StyleArc Dee! Will be interested to see how that works out for you!

      Delete
    2. That Jasmin is really cute! I like the gathers at the back.

      Delete
  2. This would be pretty cool colorblocked, you could use the light grey on the side seams, sleeves, lapels, and/or pockets and the dark grey for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, that's an itneresting idea, thank you!

      Delete
  3. I agree with using both sides of the denim. It would make something super cool. Also, I was thinking that maybe you should start making up some fantastic reasons for your blog absences. Like instead of being sick, you were busy travelling to the dark side of the moon on reconnaissance. Things that are so crazy they couldn't actually be true, but thinking them up while you're ill might be fun.��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I am recently returned from an excursion to Mars, which was very pretty but rather cold. I will take more layers next time..."

      Delete
  4. I hear you about the sickness!

    I like the dark side of the denim with metal buttons as well. You could use the lighter side for the undercollar. I wouldn't do much more than that because it may look too crafty. But when you pop the collar, surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I really like that idea. I'll have to keep it in mind if (when) I find a pattern that will work with that fabric. :D

      Delete
  5. I like your blog, but it's a shame that does not have the option to follow you and see all your posts, that is, does not have an option for your publications reach my mail.

    ReplyDelete